Find out the easiest ways to improve your mood, health, and wellbeing. Get ready for your new favourite day of the week — Self Care Sunday.
Dedicate at least one day of your week to YOU. It’s worth it. I promise.
Even if you have a busy day ahead of you, there are quick and easy ways to practice self care that will keep you grounded and improve your mood.
I was once like you. I worked hard and strived for perfection in everything I did and expected to feel happy all the time.
The truth is, dedicating yourself entirely to your work only fulfills some of your many important needs. Practicing self care is key to maintaining a healthy work-life balance and achieving a deeper connection with your body and your needs.
Sunday is a day to make time for yourself. So sit back and relax. I’m going to tell you everything you need to know about self care & your new special day — Self Care Sunday.
Butwhat exactly isself care, and where did the term come from?
“Self-care is not synonymous with self-indulgence or being selfish. Self-care means taking care of yourself so that you can be healthy, you can be well, you can do your job… and you can do all the things you need to and want to accomplish in a day” (x)
So basically, self care is good for you, and it can make you feel better. Nothin’ fancy. Still not convinced?
Don’t just take my word for it — Psychologists and wellness experts also agree that self care is an essential component of human health. (An apple-kale smoothie a day keeps the doctor away?)
Self Care is Way More Than Just a Trend
As it turns out, we’ve been using the term self care since the 1950s.
● Throughout history, self care has been a method used by people under a lot of stress — doctors, firefighters, social workers, and even members of the women’s movement and the civil rights movement practiced self care.
● Self care helps people manage life’s stressors — both big and small.
Of course, practicing self care is not just a thing of the past. Self care is huge right now.
● Since 2020, record amounts of people have been looking for ways to alleviate feelings of depression and anxiety (x). Often, self care plays a vital role in this process!
● Google reports show that the number of people searching the internet for “self care” has doubled since 2015 (x).
So, what’s the point?
“The idea is to recharge in whatever way is meaningful to you; you may meditate to refocus, get a good night’s sleep for mental clarity, etc.” (x).
The best part about self care? It’s not a one-size-fits-all approach. There are no rules!
Confused? Don’t worry! If you’re new to self care and you’re looking for some easy first steps, I’ve got you covered.
How to Start Your Self Care Journey
Self care is all about practicing manageable habits to improve your personal life.
I’m going to share with you my favorite tips for a morning, afternoon, and evening packed with activities for your very own Self Care Sunday.
Get the Most Out of Your Morning: 15 Fulfilling Activities for The AM
1. Good morning! How’d you sleep? Answer honestly… Experts say that getting afull night’s sleep is at the top of the list when it comes to practicing self care. You need 7 to 9 hours of sleep a night!
3. Ditch the coffee. Seriously. Try starting the morning with a cup of tea instead. Chamomile is known for its calming properties. Green tea has several health benefits (and provides caffeine, too).
4. Nourish yourself with a breakfast full of fruits and veggies. Ripe mango and some strawberries? Avocado toast with everything bagel seasoning? Roasted potatoes and peppers? Now we’re getting somewhere…
6. Watch a cartoon. It’s ok to be a kid for a while! Sometimes kicking back in the morning and watching some light-hearted TV is the best medicine for a relaxing Sunday.
7. Read something. Not the news. (Anything but the news).
8. Do a crossword. Simple things can feel good.
9. Consider supplements. Many people are deficient in Vitamin D, Iron, and B6. Getting the proper nutrients keeps your brain healthy and comes with several other health benefits.
10. Let some fresh air in. If it’s warm enough, open the windows in your house and enjoy the morning breeze. It feels better than you’d think to air out a room!
11. Plant a seed. Literally, if you have a garden. If not, you can buy potted plants like basil, mint, thyme for your kitchen. Hello? Fresh herbs! Psychologists report that caring for plants can help you practice acceptance and develop a growth mindset.
12. Soak in the sun. Sunlight triggers the release of serotonin in your brain.
13. Call a friend or family member and discuss your plans for the day. Catching up with loved ones can get you excited to take on your Sunday.
12. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself to be productive. Sunday is your day to recharge and relax!
13. Craft something. Making something with your hands is satisfying, no matter how small.
14. Do your laundry. Fresh clothes feel so good!
15. Make a list of goals for your upcoming week.
It’s easier than you think to complete these small activities to boost your energy and get in touch with yourself. If you dedicate some time to relaxing now, the benefits will follow you into your workweek.
Plus, who said that Sunday has to be the end of a good thing? Spread the good energy from your rejuvenating Self Care Sunday to other people in your life. Everyone should get in on the love!
Last but not least, it’s essential to practice self care on your Sunday evening to prepare for the week ahead.
Unwind in The Evening: 15 Self Care Sunday for the PM
1. Cook a homemade dinner. Taste can play a big role in how we feel. Bring happy memories to mind by cooking something that reminds you of a loved one.
14. Put your phone down and close your laptop. That’s right. It’s important to take a break from screens right before you go to bed. Put your electronics away at least 30 minutes before you plan to sleep.
Night time rituals are my favorite. It’s crucial to figure out what makes you feel most comfortable at night and practice healthy habits.Repeating behaviors that bring you joy is good for your brain!
It all ties back to peacefully ending your day. The next morning, you’ll wake up ready to take on whatever challenges Monday has in store for you.
But for now, it’s all about taking care of YOU.
Loving Yourself Can be Easier
Once you get into the habit of it, taking care of yourself in these simple ways becomes second nature.
Give yourself a pat on the back! Perfectionism may feel like the ultimate goal, but as the adage goes, “pobody’s nerfect.”
No matter who you are, you deserve to take action to improve your wellbeing. And self care is just about loving yourself! Even if your weekdays are jam-packed with responsibilities to others, Self Care Sunday is a time for you to fulfill your responsibilities to yourself.
Now you have tons of resources to get started with your Self Care Sunday.
If you need some more motivation, ask a family member or friend to encourage you! Everyone needs support sometimes, and your loved ones will be excited to lend a helping hand.
It’s time to re-learn how to take care of yourself, and it’s in your best interest to invest in the process now. Self care is intended to benefit you long-term.
What’s Your Favorite Way to Practice Self Care?
Whether you follow my advice to a tee or get creative with your Self Care Sunday ideas, getting into a weekly routine of celebrating yourself is a game-changer.
You can create your very own Self Care Sunday plan to incorporate healthier habits into any area of your life.
Simply write down a handful of small goals related to your mental and physical health and get in touch with yourself to determine how you can be most successful in achieving them.
Take small steps, like incorporating healthy foods into your meals and going for a walk around the block.
Small actions can have big impacts. Part of practicing self care is realizing how valuable the little things in everyday life can be.
In the digital age, it can be hard to unplug. But I’ve found that I can accomplish difficult goals with a little bit of faith in myself, like exchanging screen time for a day in nature or an outing with friends.
Fill us in on your tips and tricks for practicing self care!
If you still have will to go beyond simple yoga poses and indulge into some more intense exercise, you must consider the following workouts:
Plank, not only does it strengthen your core but the whole body. 3 sets of 30sec! Push-up, it is the fittest exercise to build strength. 3 sets of 12reps! Squats, to tone up and to strengthen calves, leg muscles, and hamstring. 3 sets of 12reps!
No one can deny the fact that the sun is the ultimate source of life for all living beings on this planet. Or it won’t be wrong to say that the sun is soul to the process of growth and nurture of everything living.
Sun salutation is an English version of Surya Namaskar, a Sanskrit term, that simply means
‘paying respect to the Sun.
This practice is getting all the right fame as you derive physical and mental benefits from it.
The energy of the Sun can do magic to your bodily well-being particularly when done at the sunrise. This is the time when you get a feel of newness and power of Sun’s vibration.
Click to save this image on Pinterest to read later! 🙂
12 Simple Steps to Practice The Surya Namskar
If you can’t get up early, it’s not a big deal.
You can practice it right before the sunset too but make sure you do it on an empty stomach.
Here, you get a glimpse of 12 power-packed poses of Sun Salutation with their respective mantras to chant that would bring a positive change in your life.
Pranamasana or prayer pose relaxes you and develops your concentration. Prayer pose comes with ’Om Mitraya Namaha’ mantra.
Steps to do Pranamasana
Stand with relaxed shoulders and balance the whole bodyweight equally.
Lift your arms above your head.
Join the palms and bring the hands in front of your chest and exhale.
Stay like this and repeat the mantra.
2. Hasta Uttanasana:
This pose has multiple effects as it improves flexibility, digestion and breathing ability of your lungs. The raised arm pose mantra is ‘Om Ravaye Namaha’.
Steps to do Hasta Uttanasana
Stand straight and raise your arms while inhaling.
Chant the mantra.
Move your arms with joined palms backward and try to bend from your waist backward as much as you can.
Your biceps should be near your ears.
3. Hasta Padasana:
It helps in belly fat reduction and stretches your back muscles. The hand to foot pose chants ‘Om Suriyaya Namaha’.
Steps to do Hasta Padasana
Stand straight and inhale deeply.
Meanwhile, bend forward as long as your hands can touch your feet if not the ground completely.
Keep chanting the mantra while exhaling.
Make sure as you move to advance level your hands can be rested on the ground and your forehead touches your legs.