Improve Posture with these 6 Yoga Inspired Spine Straightening Exercises
What is it that makes people notice you?
What is it that makes them listen to you with rapt attention?
What is it that instills confidence in you?
It is the way you present yourself and, GOOD POSTURE is a part of it!
A good posture boosts your confidence and eliminates various problems like lethargy, lack of energy and bad mood.
Maintaining good posture is always necessary to avoid health problems too that slowly affect us over the years like a weak spine, neck and shoulder pain, gastrointestinal issues, etc.
Since childhood, we have been told that good posture is essential and should be maintained so all the time, but it is easier said than done.
Continually reminding yourself about it while sitting, standing, walking is not possible and this prolonged habit of staying in a relaxed state can have severe effects on our body especially women who suffer from diminishing bone density and weak bones as they age.
So what else you can do?
Is there any other way rather than staying alert about our posture the whole day?
Surprisingly, I found the answer where I least expected it – Yoga.
See our other Yoga posts:
Yoga for Back Pain: 10 Minute Physical Exercise for Lower Back Pain
Practice These 7 Yoga Poses for Stress Relief and Anxiety
Yoga for Beginners: 15 Minute Home Yoga Workout to Get Started
Yoga is the most powerful technique if you know how to take the proper steps to reach your full potential.
In this post, we have put together six easy spine straightening exercises to improve body posture. These spine straightening exercises are based on yoga poses and techniques.
Save this image to read it later anytime! 🙂
6 Easy Yoga Based Spine Straightening Exercises
Yoga can perfect your body posture. It has the ability to restore curved back and hunched shoulders which are the result of years of sitting in a bad posture.
So are you ready to build your posture and confidence with these 6 yoga inspired spine straightening exercises?
1) Cow face pose/ Goumukhasana
Cow face pose is a spine stretching exercise that is very flexible in the sense that it can be done both at home and the workplace. Here are a few simple steps to do it.
- Fold your legs on a mat or if you are sitting on a chair press your feet downwards.
- Stretch your right hand above your head and fold it to touch your back.
- Now while keeping the left hand downwards fold it to meet the right wrist or fingers ( whichever is possible) at the end.
- Inhale and hold for 5 seconds.
- Repeat the other way.
Repeat it till you feel the tension in the spine go away.
2) Tree pose/ Vrikshasana
An easy spine straightening exercise that not just correct your posture but also improve your long term health.
- Stand straight. Hold your hands above the head and join the palms
- Fold the right leg and place the foot on the left thigh as high as possible.
- Stay for 5 seconds and repeat the other way.
Do it ten times, but be sure that you can balance well on one foot for a long time.
3) Bow pose/ Dhanurasana
It is a back stretching exercise that straightens your back by curving it! You may not have expected this. Lol!
- Lie down straight.
- Fold both legs and hold the ankles with the respective hand.
- Arch your back as much as possible.
- Inhale and stay for 25 seconds and exhale. Keep doing this each time you Arch your back.
Do 10-15 times.
4) Warrior pose/ Virabhadrasana
Warrior Pose will make you feel as if you are standing tall (pun intended).
- Stand straight. Lift your hands above the head and join the palms.
- Put your right leg forward and bend it at 90 degrees. Stretch left leg to the back and keep the knee straight.
- Straighten yourself while pushing towards the upward position.
- Stay like that while holding your breath and slowly exhale while changing position.
Do 15-20 times.
5) Bridge pose/ Sethu Bandha Sarvangasana
This spine strengthening exercise stretches the shoulders as well.
- Lie straight on the back. Fold your legs with feet touching the ground. Supporting your body on the hands, lift your hips such that only hips and back are above the ground.
- Adjust your shoulders blades under the back and stay for about 10 seconds in this position.
Do it 5 times.
6) Mountain pose/ Tadasana
Tadasana is a relaxed pose as compared to the above yoga poses, but I have kept it at last since doing it in the correct way matters a lot.
- Stand straight inattention.
- Legs should be a foot apart.
Stay for a while. Don’t t relax even when you feel like tension build up in the back.
Doing yoga to improve body posture can eliminate health problems, and you will get so used to it such that you will unconsciously start maintaining good posture which exudes confidence.
If you love this, please share this post with your friends! 🙂
And if you want more yoga tips and tricks, make sure to follow our Yoga & Pranayama on Pinterest! 🙂