No matter how hectic a day you have, sometimes you find it hard to shut down your mind and relax your body as soon as you throw yourself on the bed.
You might be using your cell phone and that blue light interferes with your sleep in a worse way.
You end up tossing and turning between the sheets but to no avail. Well, you don’t need to panic about it anymore.
Yoga doesn’t only help in building a calm and peaceful inner self and toning your body as well but also it helps you in having a better sleep.
According to a national survey, over 55% of people who practiced yoga reported improved sleep patterns and sleep quality.
As many poses of yoga act as a tranquilizer and let your body and mind feel at ease. You’ll be in your sound sleep in no time.
Please save this image on Pinterest to read it anytime! 🙂
Yoga for Sleep and Relaxation
The poses that engage your mind and body in a relaxing way are handy to do and you can practice some of them by simply being in bed.
You can rely on these poses for better sleep as your next day’s mood is somehow dependant on your sleep.
Here are the 7 most effective and feasible poses that you can consider for better sleep.
1. Child’s pose (Balasana):
- You can do it simply in your bed.
- Sit up comfortably on your shins and heels.
- Put your knees at hips-width apart.
- Lean forward your upper body place onto your thighs.
- Place your head on the bed.
- Your arms should be faced towards the back of the room, after some time you can stretch your arms forward while palm facing on the floor.
- Breathe deeply and roll your head.
You might also like: 12 Simple Bedtime Habits worth Adopting for a Healthy Lifestyle
2. Reclining bound angle pose (Supta Baddha Konasana):
- Lie down on your back.
- Bend your knees.
- Stretch your bent legs in such a way that soles of your feet are facing each other.
- Place a cushion under both knees to support them.
- You can put your hands in any of the three ways, rest your arms straight on the bed, put hands on the stomach or put your hands under your head.
- You must feel the breathing and relax your mind.
3. Winding down twist:
- Sit and cross your legs.
- Put your left hand on the opposite knee.
- Stretch your right arm behind you and place your hand on the floor.
- Turn your head in the right arm direction.
- Breathe in and out.
- Come back in the straight pose and then repeat on the left side.
You might also like: 20 Minute Yoga Workout: Powerful Yoga to Lose Weight in 10 Days
4. Supporting half frog pose:
- Simply lie on your belly; you can put a pillow under your belly as well.
- Bend your right leg, making it at a 90-degree angle so that your knee is at the same level as the hip.
- Stretch the other leg out and straight.
- Relax your hands near your face.
- Inhale and exhale deeply.
5. Legs up the wall pose (Viparita Karani):
- Lie on your back near the wall or headboard.
- Bend the knee in such a way that your toes are touching the wall.
- Now, start lifting and straightening your legs up on the wall.
- Keep your hips about 6inches away from the wall.
- Or you can adjust according to your comfort.
- Place your arms on the bed straight and feel the stretch in your legs.
6. Spinal twist pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana):
- Lie on your right side.
- Bend your legs by placing one on the other.
- Put one or two pillows between your thighs.
- Now, stretch your left arm behind you and right arm in the forward direction.
- Twist your upper half while facing towards the sky.
- Turn your head in the left arm direction.
- Stay in this pose for few minutes then switch the sides.
7. Corpse pose (Shavasana):
- Lie on your back.
- Put your arms straight on the bed or floor, palms facing upward.
- Closed eyes, jaws, and body relaxed.
- Feet should be hip-width apart and stretched out to the edge of the bed.
- Inhale and exhale and feel the air in your lungs.
- Put a cloth on your eyes to block any light.
- And this pose will simply take you into slumber valley.